Tuesday, September 15, 2009

On his birthday, Naik says his focus is on the people of satellite city and not his opponents



"As far as the October 13 assembly elections are concerned, my focus is on the people of Navi Mumbai. Who is joining hands with whom to ensure my defeat is the least of my worries. It's a democracy and everyone here has a right to shake hands with anyone before, during or after elections," said a confident Thane Guardian Minister and NCP's potential candidate for the Belapur assembly seat, Ganesh Naik on the eve of his 59th birthday.
Naik continued, "I believe in my voters from Navi Mumbai who hail from all castes, classes, religions and financial backgrounds. These people are aware of my work and what I stand for. So, I am not at all worried about the result."
On his plans for celebrating the birthday, he said that it would a simple affair this year. "I will be going to the Bavkhaleshwar temple to seek the Lord's blessings at 10 am and will be meeting my friends and party workers till 2 pm."
Born on September 15, 1950, Naik began his political career as a workers' leader in 1970. Barring the assembly polls of 1999, when he parted ways with Shiv Sena, Naik has been representing Navi Mumbai's Belapur seat, considered as the largest assembly constituency in the state before delimitation, for around 15 years. Besides, Naik has been widely credited for helping his son Sanjeev win the Thane Parliamentary seat, said to be traditional stronghold of Shiv Sena, on NCP's ticket.
Expansion of the Thane-Belapur road to bus services to Mumbai from the satellite city are among his visible achievements in recent times.
Speaking about him, Navi Mumbai Deputy Mayor and NCP leader Shashikant Birajdar said, "I have been working with him for the past 30 years. He is a leader who truly walks with people from all castes and creeds, even as many newcomers make a pretension of being secular leaders. Where others have not even contributed locally, Naik is the only leader from the city who stands tall at the state-level and has always delivered on all fronts. And we hope that he will continue the good work in the years to come."
NMTV News

No comments: