Friday, October 23, 2009

It's a new son-rise for Ganesh Naik

NCP-Congress alliance candidate Sandeep Naik registered victory in a cut-throat competition from the Airoli constituency on Thursday. He defeated Shiv Sena-BJP candidate Vijay Chauguley, political archrival of the Naiks, by 11,964 votes. Sandeep managed to get 79,075 votes out of the total 1,57,751 votes cast, while 67,118 voters favoured Chauguley.
'Airoli strongman' Chauguley made a good start in the initial rounds by taking good lead; however as the counting went on, Sandeep covered up the gap and after the 22 rounds of the counting, it became clear that Sandeep would represent the Airoli constituency in the House for the next five years.
The counting session was full of drama, in fact. Sandeep clinched 3,687 and 3,282 votes in seventh and eight rounds respectively, while Chauguley could garner 3,199 and 3,224 votes in those rounds. Still, at end of eighth round Chauguley had a lead of 815 votes. Thereafter, the margin remained neck-to-neck till the 14th round. However, from the 15th round onwards, Sandeep maintained a clear lead till the final round.
"I thank all those people who supported me from the beginning of my campaign. On Thursday, I was a bit tensed when came to know that Chauguley was leading in the initial stages. However, I was confident about winning the polls. Now, my duty will be to identify the needs of the public and work accordingly. I will try my level best to fulfil our agenda," said an excited Sandeep. When asked whether he is happy with the margin with which he won, he answered, "I am happy with the margin since there was no MNS candidate and still we won with good margin. This indicates that youths and new voters registered with EC put faith in me. My victory is equally due to all NCP corporators and workers who put lots of efforts to the win from the constituency."
DNA news

No comments: